The Guangdong Provincial Museum is located at No. 2 Zhujiang East Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province. The central axis of Guangzhou New City, the southern part of the center of the Pearl River New City, was started in 1957 and officially opened to the public in 1959. The new pavilion was laid and started in December 2004. It was completed in 2010 and covers a total area of 67,000 square meters. It is the only provincial-level comprehensive museum in Guangdong Province and a national-level museum.